Southwestern University - Environmental Studies Program
1001 E University Ave.
Georgetown, TX 78626
Understanding human and natural systems
At the heart of Southwestern’s environmental studies program lies a list of provocative and urgent questions that students will be challenged to investigate.
• What is humankind’s relationship to its environment?
• How do natural systems operate?
• What are some of today’s most pressing environmental issues?
• How do we address the complicated issue of environmental justice?
• What are key environmental issues on the Southwestern campus and in Central Texas?
From these starting points, environmental studies students will begin an examination of the world around them that will continue through their time at Southwestern and into their lives beyond the classroom.
Considering Environmental Studies?
Environmental Studies at Southwestern is one of our premier interdisciplinary programs; and it is designed to expose students to a wide range of perspectives and disciplinary orientations to understanding ‘the natural environment’ and human-environment interactions and connections. Students graduating with Environmental Studies pursue a wide variety of careers in government, NGOs, the sustainability sector, environmental law, or go on to graduate school to deepen their knowledge.
A major in Environmental Studies and a minor in Environmental Studies are available program options.