Michigan Technological University - School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science
1400 Townsend Dr.
Houghton, MI 49931
The faculty and staff of the School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science are committed to educating students to create the future in the fields of forestry, forest ecology and management, applied ecology and environmental sciences, wildlife ecology and management, and molecular genetics and biotechnology. All of our degree programs heavily emphasize field and lab techniques, geographic information systems, and, computer and quantitative skills. We excel at bringing all our students together to work as a team in our complex natural world to answer the needs of society.
Undergraduate Programs Offered:
• Applied Ecology and Environmental Sciences—BS
• Wildlife Ecology and Management—BS
• Natural Resources Management
The School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science, in conjunction with other units on campus, offers four interdisciplinary minors.
• Plant Biotechnology
• Plant Sciences
• Remote Sensing
The School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science, in partnership with Michigan Tech's Department of Cognitive and Learning Sciences, offers programs leading to State of Michigan certification for high school biology teachers.
• Bachelor of Science in Forestry with Secondary Education option in Biology
• Bachelor of Science in Applied Ecology and Environmental Sciences with Secondary Education option in Biology
• Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Ecology and Management with Secondary Education option in Biology
The School of Forest Resources and Environmental Science awards four master of science degrees and one master of forestry degree.
• Master of Science in Forestry—Focuses on enhancing understanding of forest ecosystems processes and skills needed for forest land management.
• Master of Science in Forest Ecology and Management—Stresses understanding of ecosystem and organism functions in natural and managed forest landscapes.
• Master of Science in Applied Ecology—Emphasizes advanced understanding of natural and human dominated ecosystems and tools for the resolution of contemporary environmental problems.
• Master of Science in Forest Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology—Holistic focus on understanding the life process and genetic controls of forest organisms as they relate to their environment
Graduate Programs Offered:
• PhD in Forest Science
• PhD in Forest Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology