Black Hills State University - Department of Natural Sciences
1200 University Street Unit #9502
Spearfish, SD 57799
Department Programs Include:
• Biology / Biology Education
• Chemistry / Chemistry Education
• Environmental Physical Science
• Physical Science
• Master of Science in Integrative Genomics (MSIG)
At Black Hills State University, the environmental physical science program includes the identification, study, and treatment of a variety of environmental problems. The program addresses ground and surface water quality and management, waste treatment, land-use planning, soil testing, containment chemistry and monitoring, hazardous waste disposal, land reclamation and energy management and production.
The School of Natural Sciences at BHSU is committed to quality undergraduate programs in the natural sciences, with an emphasis on involving students in research and internship experiences.
Why earn an environmental physical science degree from BHSU?
• Experiential Learning: BHSU provides opportunities to work directly with excellent faculty on research projects.
• Premier Location: BHSU is located 20 miles from the Sanford Underground Research Facility. This close proximity to Sanford Lab combined with a high level of interest among faculty and staff creates opportunities for collaborative projects in the sciences .
• Employability: Environmental positions exist in the private sector through consulting, chemical, petroleum and other manufacturing corporations. Positions are also available with state and federal government agencies such as the Bureau of Reclamation, U.S. Geological Survey Water Resource Division, the Environmental Protection Agency, and the U.S. Forest Service.